Beetroot kosumbari is a healthy salad served with the main course.Beetroot is very good for health especially to boost the hemoglobin level.It is said that it is our Liver’s best friend.It is a super storehouse of iron and Vitamin C.Coming back to the recipe I adapted this recipe from Santoshi and is one of my personal favourite salad.
Mustard seeds-1/4 tsp
Curry leaves-1 sprig
Coriander leaves-1 tsp to garnish
Grated coconut-2 tsp(optional)
- Wash ,peel and cut the beetroot into 4 pieces and put it in a bowl.
- Take a pressure cooker with lil water and keep the bowl with beetroot inside it.
- Take a whistle and switch off the flame.
- Once the pressure releases,open the lid,cool the beetroot and then grate it.
- Heat oil in a small seasoning pan,splutter mustard seeds,add curry leaves and season it to the beetroot.
- Paste the green chilly and add it to the beetroot along with chopped onion and salt to taste.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and add a dash of lime juice.
- You may also use the raw beetroot if you like.
- When you steam or cook the beetroot in the cooker it releases lil water, use it in the salad without discarding it.
- You may add curds just before serving .
- Option of adding the curds can be left open to the eaters by keeping it in a separate bowl.
- You may exclude onions and add Asafoetida while tempering.
- But if you add Asafoetida please take precautions, add it once you off the flame,or keep it in a low flame since there are chances of burning or at times flame raises.