Recipe of dosa adapted from : Kudpiraj’s Garam tawa
For potato bhaji :
Green chillies-4,slit into 2
Coriander leaves-2 tbsp,chopped
For the tempering:
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Chana dhal-1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Oil-2 tbsp approx
- Cook the potatoes,peel it and chop it into cubes and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan,splutter mustard seeds,add chana dhal,cashewnuts and curry leaves,saute it for a minute.
- Add turmeric powder and green chillies and fry for a second.
- Add onions and fry for two more minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water approx and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add chopped potatoes,green peas and salt to taste,cook it in simmer for 5 minutes and make it as dry as possible.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Long red chillies-4-5,soaked in hot water for an hour
Roasted cumin powder-a pinch
Method for the red chutney:
Grind all the ingredients mentioned under the list to a fine paste.
Cumin seeds-1/4 tsp
Coriander seeds-1 tsp
Curry leaves-3-4 leaves
- Grind all the ingredients to a fine paste using water.
- Use it as required.
Ingredients for the dosa:
Raw rice-4 cups
Urad dhal-1 1/2 cups
Chana dhal-1/4 cup
Tur dal-1/4 cup
Poha(beaten rice) -fistful
Ghee/oil-as much needed to smear the dosa
Method for the dosa batter:
- Soak all the ingredients together for 4-5 hours except salt,ghee/oil,butter and sugar.
- Wash the beaten rice and grind it along with soaked ingredients slightly thinner than the idli batter.
- Ferment it overnight for 8-10 hours(30 Degree C) and next day add salt and sugar and allow it to stand for 10-15 minutes.
How to proceed:
- Keep a bowl of water and a piece of clean napkin aside to wipe the tawa after every dosa to get a better result.
- Heat the griddle,wipe it with the wet towel,take a ladle of batter,put it in the centre of the tawa and spread it thinly,smear it with melted ghee all over the dosa,simmer and close the lid.
- You may also add the ghee or oil at the later stage when the dosa leaves the sides of the pan which indicates it is cooked.
- After a minute,take the lid off,spread the red chutney,then the garlic chutney all over dosa or as you like and then add potato bhaji at one side.
- You may also add butter at this stage.
- This batch I used only garlic chutney.
- Fold the dosa into half,higher the flame and roast it until brown in color on both the sides and serve hot.