I learnt to prepare this dish from my Amma and have been watching the process since childhood especially during Ganesh Chaturthi at our native place. It was very fascinating to watch ladies preparing Patholi,Chakkuli or chaklis etc…
Turmeric leaves-30- 35 approx
Ingredients for the outer covering:
Rice-1 cup,(I used basmathi)
Grated coconut-3 tbsp
Salt- a pinch
Jaggery powder-1 tsp
Puffed paddy-2 cups(or beaten rice)
Ingredients for the filling or Churn:
Coconut-1 big,grated(2 1/2 cups approx)
Jaggery -1/2 kilo(2 cups grated jaggery approx)
Cardamom powder-1/2 tsp
Method for the outer covering:
- Soak rice for an hour two.
- Clean the puffed rice and discard husks if any.
- Soak puffed paddy in water for 5 minutes and drain the water completely,squeeze the water if any and keep it aside.
- Drain the water from the rice completely and grind it with all the ingredients mentioned in the list and the soaked paddy.
- Grind to a fine paste adding minimum water.
- Don’t make the batter thin and watery.
- The batter should be thick pouring consistency.
Method for the filling:
- Add water to the jaggery and melt it well until you get a one string consistency.
- Add grated coconut and saute it for 5 minutes.
- Add cardamom powder,off the flame and cool it.
- This mixture can be prepared before hand and refrigerated for more than a week.
- Same churn is used for making beaten rice or godu pohu.
- By preparing the churn in this manner the dish stays for a longer time.
- Wash each and every leaf very well to remove any dirt.
- Trim the bottom stalks off and wipe each leaf with a clean and dry towel carefully without tearing.
- You may also trim both, top and bottom ends.
- If the leaves are too big cut it into two.
- Fill water in the steamer and keep to boil.
- If the steamer is ready,lower the flame until you finish the procedure and then higher the flame once patholi’s are arranged.
- Keep the batter for the outer covering and the filling ready.
- Line the turmeric leaves on a clean kitchen platform.
- First take a ladle of batter and spread it on the leaf.(check the picture)
- Keep some gap on the top.(optional)
- Spread a tsp of the filling in the centre in a straight line.
- I used my hands to spread the mixture,you may use a spoon.
- Fold the leaf as shown in the picture lengthwise or vertically.
- Some fold it horizontally.
- Continue the process until you finish the batter and filling.
- Arrange it in the steamer stacking and close the lid.
- Steam it for 15 minutes.
- Once steamed, peel off the leaf and discard it before you eat.
- The color of the steamed leaf will be faded.
- Serve the patholi blobbed with homemade ghee.
- I used the puffed paddy in the outer covering.
- You may use beaten rice too.
- You may prepare this Patholi in Plantain leaf if turmeric leaf is not available.
- You may also add puffed paddy powder if the filling has become little drainy.