Ingredients for the batter:
Besan/Gram flour- 1 1/2 cups
Rice flour-1/4 cup
Baking soda-1/4 tsp
Food colours- a drop each of egg yellow,red and green (optional)
Water-1 cup approx
Oil- to deep fry
Cashewnuts-3 tbsp,roasted in ghee
Ingredients for the syrup:
Sugar-1 1/2 cup
Lime juice-2 tsp
Rose essence-few drops
- Sieve besan,rice flour and baking powder and keep it ready.
- Mix sugar and water and make sugar syrup until you get a single string consistency.
- Off the flame, add lime juice and essence.
- Lime juice is added to avoid crystallization.
- Keep the sugar syrup aside.
- Now to prepare the batter make a dent in the centre of the sieved flours and keep adding water little by little.
- Make a medium flowing consistency batter.
- Divide the batter into 3 portions,2 portions one ladle each for red and green colour,more portion for the yellow colour.
- Mix colours in all the batter with different mixing spoon and keep it ready.
- Heat oil and prepare boondi with the boondi maker or perforated ladle.
- Keep cleaning the ladle after every batch and fry all the coloured boondis.
- Warm the sugar syrup again and dump in all the boondi and mix it well.
- Roast cashewnuts and cloves in ghee and mix it in the boondi mixture.