Cheppi Surnali /Godi surnali is specially prepared on tulsi pooja.I wanted to post this long time back but could not make it somehow.I have already posted the sweet version of this dosa sometime back.The recipe goes same but only thing is we have to ignore adding jaggery.I adapted the recipe from my Amma.
Rice – 2 cups
Beaten rice – fistful
Grated coconut -2 cups approx
Buttermilk(medium sour) or curds – 1 cup
Salt – to taste
Cooking soda -1/4 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Soak rice with methi seeds for 3-4 hours.
- Soak poha for 5 minutes.
- Grind rice,methi seeds,poha,grated coconut with buttermilk to a fine batter.
- Add more buttermilk or water to adjust the consistency of the batter.
- Don’t add too much water or buttermilk.
- Final batter must be medium thick.
- Ferment it overnight or for 8-9 hours.
- Next morning beat it until fluffy add.salt to taste, cooking soda and mix well.
- Heat a tawa,pour a ladle of batter,you will see pores on the surnali,smear ghee or oil and close it with a lid.
- No spreading the dosa like other dosa’s as this is a thick and soft dosa.
- Cook it in low flame for few seconds.
- Once done ,open the lid,higher the flame and roast it for few seconds.
- No flipping on the opposite side.
- Serve it hot with home made butter or ghee.