Today is the third day of Diwali and is laxmi puja, goddess of wealth and prosperity. On this auspicious day I prepared Cornflour halwa which is also called as Karachi halwa . Normally this halwa is commonly found with the colours orange , yellow and green but I chose orange . I also forgot to add ghee but that didn’t spoil the halwa . It came out perfect. But I suggest to prepare this halwa in small quantities and have it fresh. I had bookmarked the recipe long back from sharmis passions. There are many recipes to be tried and I will try and share the recipes in the space in the coming days. Until then Happy Laxmi puja dear readers !
Recipe adapted from : sharmispassions
Cornflour – 1/2 cup
Water – 1 cups plus 1 1/2 cups
Sugar – 1 1/2 cups
Orange /yellow /green food colour – few drops (optional )
Cashewnut bits – 1/4 cup (roasted in ghee )
Cardamom powder – 1 pinch
Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Take a clean bowl , add cornflour , 1 cup water and food colour .
- Mix it well and keep it ready .
- Take a thick kadai , add sugar and 1 1/2 cups water.
- Cook the syrup until it turns sticky .
- Make sure it turns sticky , no need to check the string consistency .
- Once it turns sticky add the cornflour mixture .
- Keep stirring it on low flame .
- It will start to thicken and turn glossy .
- Once it starts to thicken add cardamom powder and ghee .
- Add cashewnut bits once it starts leaving the sides .
- Transfer the mixture into a greased tin .
- Set it for an hour .
- Once set cut it into squares .
- Refrigerate until use .
Pictorial presentation :