This is the second recipe of Mushti polo in the space and is one of my personal favourite too. Even the kids love it very much that I prepare it atleast once a week these days. This dosa is a keeper. Amma gave me the recipe and I love her traditional recipes anytime. The dosa comes out very light and crisp . It compliments well with thambde (red) chutney .
Urad dal – 1 cup
Dosa rice – 4 cups
Fenugreek seeds / methi seeds – 1/2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Baking soda – 1/2 tsp approx
- Soak urad dal, rice and methi seeds for 4 – 5 hours.
- Drain the water, wash it well and grind it to a fine batter.
- The batter must be medium thin consistency .
- Transfer it in a vessel and ferment it overnight or for 8 hours approx.
- Next morning add salt to taste, sugar and baking soda.
- Beat the batter well and keep it aside for 10 minutes (optional).
- Heat a tawa,lower the flame and spread the dosa in a circular motion.
- Add ghee or oil all over and close it with a lid for few seconds.
- Higher the flame until the dosa turns brown and leaves the sides.
- No flipping on the opposite side .
- Roast the opposite side if you like.
- Clean the tawa with a wet cloth after each dosa.
- Serve it hot with red chutney .
Recipe for the red chutney:
Ingredients to be ground:
Roasted long red chillies-3(roast the chillies in a tsp of oil until crisp)
Tamarind – a pinch
Coriander seeds-2 tsp
Salt- to taste
Coconut oil-1 tsp
Curry leaves-2 sprigs
Hing – 2 pinches(optional)
- Grind the ingredients mentioned under the list to a fine paste.
- Transfer it into a bowl,add water and adjust the consistency.
- Check salt.
- Heat oil,splutter mustard seeds,add curry leaves and hing.
- Season it to the chutney.