Diwali is almost nearing and I’m in the festival mood to cook all authentic delicacies for the festival. Shahi tukda is also known as Double ka meetha ,which is a Hyderabadi dessert.Double ka meetha means milk bread soaked in sugar syrup. Shahi tukda is a very famous dessert in the Mughlai cuisine.Usually the slices of the bread are cut into triangles.This dessert is rich and fully loaded with calories.I take the privilege to dedicate this Shahi dessert to all those who have sweet tooth.
Milkmaid- ½ tin
Bread- 8 slices
Milk- 1 cup
Cornflour- 1 tbsp
Cardamom powder(elaichi)- 1 tsp
Nuts- 1 tbsp , chopped
Oil/ghee to fry
Sugar- 1 cup
Water- 1 cup
- Make a paste of cornflour with some milk.
- Mix the milkmaid with the rest of the milk.
- Bring the milk mixture to a boil.
- Add cornflour paste and cook stirring constantly until thick, add elaichi powder.
- Prepare syrup by boiling water and sugar together, strain and keep aside.
- Cut bread slices into two,triangular pieces and deep fry in ghee till it turns golden brown.
- Immediately put the fried bread into the sugar syrup ,dip for a minute, remove from syrup, arrange in a serving dish.
- To each piece of bread with 1 tbsp of mixture of milkmaid and nuts.
- Serve chilled.
I simple toasted the bread in a pan,instead of deep frying.
If u want soft tukdas you may soak in the sugar syrup for a little longer time.
Serve it immediately once u plate the dessert or else it will turn soggy.