Hello dear readers! Today I learn’t one more recipe which I had in my bucket list, ‘Limbiya kanchi’ from my Amma. I wanted to learn this since long time and finally I made it today. Limbiyo means lime/lemon. Though I’m not a kanchi fan I always wanted to learn to make this. This is a kind of pickle. Goes well with Paez/ gruel. There are different methods to prepare this pickle but I’m sharing the basic one. This version is best for children.
Lemon – 10
Rock salt – 3/4 cup
Water – 2 cups
- Clean the lemons well with a cloth.
- Avoid washing it as tad bit of the moisture also will spoil the pickle.
- Cut the lemons into small quarters as shown in the picture.
- Take a vessel and add water.
- Heat the water but don’t take a boil.
- If you take a boil of the water and then add salt , the salt won’t dissolve.
- So just heat the water until it starts turning hot and then add salt.
- It will start dissolving soon.
- Keep stirring it, take a boil of the water and switch off the flame.
- Cool the mixture and bring it to lukewarm temperature.
- Strain the water to remove the impurities.
- This mixture we call as ‘Mitta Paez” /salt water.
- Then add chopped lemons and mix it well.
- Close it with a lid.
- For continuous 7 days mix it and keep it outside.
- After 7 days Kanchi will be ready and you can store it in a sterilized glass bottle or barni (ceramic pot) .
- Store it in a cool place.
- You may also add chopped green chillies and ginger to make this ‘ kanchi’ spicier version.
- You may also transfer the ‘Kanchi’ in a sterilized glass bottle on the first day itself and keep mixing it daily for 7 days.
- Please see that the bottle is super dry.
- I sun dry the bottles for safety.
- This ‘kanchi’ will stay good for atleast a year.
- You may also refrigerate it for safety.
- Always use a clean spoon while you use.